Friday, August 3, 2012

Sandstorm

When I think Sandstorm, I think of that old Techno song that came out 10 years ago.  What I have found out, however, is that A) no one cares about that song outside of the U.S. and B) there are real sandstorms. Barring all the technical data that I'd grab from Wikipedia, I'll simply say that its now the time of season where the winds and heat blows enough sand up to cause a problem. (Think WATER CYCLE, but with Sand).  Today was my first sand stormy experience, so I was eager to run and grab my Shemagh that Ashelyn let me buy a couple of months ago in Utah. Donning the high speed head dress, I ran outside to realize I suck at tying it. I can breath just fine, but the seal between my glasses and the cloth allow little sand bits to attack my eyes. Mission: FAILED

So what does any self respecting soldier do during lunch when it blows? Why, he goes to the MWR Rec Room!! I was not the only one who had this brilliant idea, there were many people there, I was about to say 'Soldiers' but there were Marines, Sailors, Airmen (Grrr) AND Contractors... Norman and I resolved to playing some pool (rematch from when we went bowling and beat him 2 games to 1) What we didn't know is that some Seamen were on the table before us, and we were to mind read the fact the were coming back. The ensuing conversation escalated until the little Asian on the ping pong table told us to play doubles best 2 out of 3 for the table. Fair enough, at least I won't be playing against Norman.

We didn't plan it, we didn't even know it was going to happen. We kept missing easy shots one after another, and the first game went to the NAVY. Second game was going about the same as the first. when they removed their balls off the table, it was easy for us to scoop ours up and won just by the skin of our teeth. Last game, Norman and I hustled them out with one run each. The games were good, but we had to go back to work, so we let the others play ( if there is no water near by, what is the navy doing here besides playing pool anyways?) Norman and I have a respect for the Boat boys, at least they are as bad as their Flyboy brothers at the Air Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment